Impossible Girl Blog

Tuesday 18 October 2011

just in: library edition

new_books
I've never tried reading Jules Verne until Margaret Atwood referenced this author when she was explaining the science fiction genre, and its sibling, speculative fiction. I was intrigued and picked up a copy of Around the World in 80 Days at the public library. I was surprisingly delighted by Verne's storytelling and the book's sense of adventure, that I decided I wanted to get more familiar with Verne's catalogue. Unfortunately, Journey to the Centre of the Earth is always on loan at the public library. Finally picked up a copy today and got an awesome 3-for-10 bucks deal at MPH!


Incidentally, classics are an awesome way to go if you want to purchase new titles when on a budget. Most classics sell for less than $5 and you are guaranteed of some wonderful reading. I remember those times when I was living in Manila and had little to spare on books (they are incredibly expensive in Manila!), I would drop by Goodwill bookstore in Glorietta and pile up on their classics, which they were selling for P60 a pop (about $2!). This is how I've discovered Madame Bovary, one of my favorite books of all time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment